Wednesday 29 March 2017

The Not So Exciting Adventures of a Waiter

A new day, a new shift. Couldn't sleep last night. Seems my old habits are returning. I stayed awake since 4 in the morning after an intense fight with a relic of  the past. No reason for the fight to be honest. I'm tired she said. Tired of talking about the same and the same over and over again. Funny thing is that this time I was not the one to start the specific conversation that she was so tired with. I cared about her, I thought that she was a mature person able to understand things that are deeper than her hollow fucked up ego. I was wrong obviously. Nothing wrong with being shallow. Everybody is nowadays, its hip. She is not gonna get tired anymore. I wont be there. Back to the shift. Manchester Metropolitan University. Damn I thought. I could be studying here if I wasn't so fucking dumb. Underestimating my self as always I went and applied to the lowest ranking universities I could find just in case I couldn't make it. I wish I knew better. Serving people at MMU was fun though. Excluding some students who thought it was a good idea to mix peper, salt, water,soda and mashed potatos in a plate just to make my work harder. It took me 4 minutes and a lot of wrist strength to scap away the goo from the plate.  I was walking up and down the cafeteria court, looking for plates or someone to serve and stuff like that. I was curious why some girls were looking at me. Do you need anything? I said. No, nothing at all she replied moving her head left and right in an awkward way. A broken heart is a funny thing. Hundreds of students passing by, all these girls yet I wasn't even interested to even look at them in any other way than to see if they needed food. Neutral, unaligned, like Switzerland but better. Speaking of Switzerland, Swiss chocolates rock. I wish I had some chocolate I thought while strolling around with my black tie and black shirt. Time passes really fast when you work, then the manager came nd told me to go to smoke or something. I don't need a break I said. You are entitled to take a break after 4 hours, he told me. I thought entitled was a word with a positive meaning. Until today of course. I thought it meant something like, you have the right to. So I went out to smoke. After five minutes or so I returned to continue working. Go take a break Nick, he said with a grumpy face. I was like..What the fuck I just did dude. You have to take a 30 minute break, we are gonna deduct it from your pay rate anyway. 
I'll be on my way then. Off I go for more cigaretes. My feet still hurt from the cuts so I didn't put much of a fight. But Niiiick, you might say. Why would you put up a fight for a break you OBVIOUSLY deserve? Well I do not know. I really don't. I don't know why I love this shitty job so much but I do and I don't like breaks despite the fact that I am a filthy nicotine and caffeine addict.

After some more plate scrapping and socializing with students I stumbled upon that kind of person who tries to impress girls as desperate as he can. A coin bounces on my leg and I'm like no..not again. Please no breads and cheesecakes. He was trying to ''make the coin disappear'' by actually flipping it into his long sleeved shirt. This is like the most basic magic trick ever. It's so basic you don't even call it a magic trick. I tried to tease him saying that this is a really bad magic trick then he challenged me to do the same if I could. I bet you suck he shouted with an obnoxious look. I took a deep breath and exhaled.
 I took the coin and I just flicked it. Everyone was amazed by my extreme Copperfield mastery of the dark arts.I'm John Constantine bitches, master of the dark coin flinging and trickery. I left the coin on the table and continued my job as a humble waiter because I didn't want to give away my secret identity of course. A hero never shows off. It's a comic book rule. All I wanted was to live a relaxed and calm life as a waiter but the coin flipping trouble always finds me wherever I go and other dramatic stuff like this. 

The end of my shift was coming steadily but slowly. I was kinda sad to be honest. Working makes my mind to forget about things. I checked out, rolled a cigarette and back on the road again. I had to walk 50 minutes to get back to the not so permanent house of mine. I open the doors with borrowed keys from another housemate and would you look at that. I locked my self out of the room. The morning I left for work I shut the door behind me like the stupid person I am before I drink a cup of coffee. I didn't have my keys anymore so that meant that I had to wait 2 hours for the locksmith to come and open the room door. I got a chocolate though, which was kinda nice. It wasn't Swiss but I enjoyed it anyway. Yet, the random thoughts in my mind were quite persistent. Questions presenting themselves one after another. I was never tired. Why is she?  Stupid relationships and their interactions. Huge egos trying to control each other for the throne. Why is there a huge ego in the first place? Ego has no place in a relationship yet it exists. Maybe people should think more before they enter a relationship and invest their feelings to someone. Instead of saying I'm ready they should say, my ego is ready to be flattened for you, I thought while bitting my chocolate. I wish I had a bottle of any alcohol or an ice cream. Random thoughts, random thoughts everywhere. So  I decided to use my perfect cooking skills and make some sick past with onion bacon and mushroom sauce. Aaaaaaaaand that was the end of a not so crazy shift and not so interesting day I guess.

Who knows, maybe tomorrow will bring something exciting and new.

No comments:

Post a Comment