Tuesday 23 May 2017

Reflections

Life can be crazy sometimes. Wars, bloodshed and stuff like that. We all understand the reality of our surroundings or so we think. We remain indifferent  and neutral, until the war and the bloodshed is outside our doorstep and that's the harsh reality of the world. I'm not judging, I am one of these people after all. You can't really care for every single person that is dying out there. Imagine someone that would genuinely care about everyone. He or she would commit suicide in a matter of seconds. Too much sadness can make someone go crazy. We all need a balance of happy and sad in our lives. When we don't have happiness we can just create it so we don't get depressed. Another thing that can shock you into reality is a huge coincidence. This is the story of my coincidence.

I met a girl 2 weeks ago while I was bartending. She was a  member of staff as well and the big guys transfered her to my bad so she could help me out. I didn't need help moslty because the place was dead. I've  never been so bored at a bartending shift in my short but vivid carrer. We started talking about different topics. University, studies, long term plans and other stuff like that. At some point work disscusion came in and she told me that if I wanted more money I should go at the X place and apply. They usually have lots of shifts in Manchester Arena she told me. ''You get your own bar, meet celebrities and no one bothers you'', she said. That's pretty cool I thought.

So, after some days I actually applied. I got a shift in Manchester Arena for the 22nd of May. I wanted to go but on the other hand I was quite tired. I was working to pay my rent and the last 2 weeks were crazy. I canceled the shift because I was feeling weak and said that I will start working in a day or two again. I decided to go out for something to eat and drink with a friend of mine. I've never been out in Manchester to enjoy the night life, like never ever. I've been in Manchester for 2 years and I have been out once for a quick drink which  I did not enjoy that much. The bad thing with alcohol is that it ends at somepoint. Well, after the whole wine and dine thing I came back to sleep. My current sleeping schedule is waking up at 5 in the morning and sleeping by 10 at night. I'm like fucking cinderella. If midnight comes I just feel drowzy as hell. My phone died in between so I couldn't see any news or notifications. I went to bed after a very cool night and woke up today to see that a suicide bomber killed 22 people and injured 59 more in a terrorist attack at Manchester Arena. I was supposed to be fucking working yesterday and something like this happens. I would probably be dead right now. I was shocked to be honest. I still cannot comprehend what the hell happened and why someone would target an event that attracts young children and teenagers. I forgot to mention that the attack took place at Ariana Grande's event. Like who the fuck actually targets an Ariana Grande gig? Who in his right mind wakes up in the morning and says: ''Let's suicide bomb the Ariana event and kill some children and teens today. Yeah, that would be cool". From another point of view, someone in his right mind would not fasten a fucking suicide vest on him and die for some fucked up reason such as god or something similar.

Many questions of philosophical nature arise here. I'm not racist mostly because I don't really care about people. I don't care who someone else fucks, what's their color and ethnicity. I believe that everyone has the right to live as he/she likes. Yet, I wonder how these families should look through their fear and grief and not be racist. Some families lost their kids yesterday and the society will ask of them not to be afraid. Not to be afraid of muslims or I don't know who else wants to kill people out there. Obviously here comes the answer to the question above. People like that do not represent muslim people as Islam is actually a religion that promotes peace and I agree 100%. How do you know who is gonna kill you out there and who is actually promoting peace? Would you actually blame a parent who lost his 12 or 15 year old child for racism? What would you do if you were at the families shoes? Fight through the fear and grief and the fact that you just tried to make your kid happy by sending it there? Imagine the guilt and the crying. A cruel reality check that basically says that no one is safe in this world.

From another point of view, tragedies like this are a catalyst to get people to unite and stand strong in times like this one. Why do we need bad things to happen in order to stand united? I always wondered about that. When shitty things happen, that's when people are like a big team. Cooperating and volunteering for a cause bigger than themselves.

Well, people will be people and the world can be happy and cruel at the same time. A moment of silence for the families and teens and for a parallel universe Nick who chose to go to Manchester Arena for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment